Our TEFL course to teach adults leads to a CELT qualification, an internationally recognised qualification. The course is intended for people without previous teaching experience who wish to enter the profession of English language teaching to adults. It is also appropriate for those with some ELT experience, but no formal qualification or training, as well as for teachers from other fields who are interested in developing a career in English language teaching.
The CELT is awarded by QQI (Quality and Qualifications Ireland), which is the Irish government’s validation and awarding body.
We offer both full-time and part-time CELT courses. Theses TEFL courses are highly practical in approach and are designed to enable participants to:
- develop basic skills for teaching English in the language classroom.
- familiarise themselves with the principles and practice of effective English language teaching.
- develop an awareness of language and a knowledge of the description of English and apply these in their professional practice.
- familiarise themselves with appropriate resources and materials for use with adult learners of English for teaching, testing and for reference.
- develop an appreciation of the methods to monitor and evaluate learners’ language learning needs, competence and achievements.
- introduce learners to ways in which learner autonomy can be promoted.
The price for both part-time and full-time courses is €950, which includes the course fees and the ACELS registration fee of €50.
Ordinarily, you would also be required to purchase at least three books. However, at Atlas, we’ll lend you the required books for the duration of the course.
TEFL Course Dates
The cost of the CELT course (both part-time and full-time) is €950 (this includes the ACELS CELT Certificate Fee) plus a €50 Registration Fee.
- Candidates who pay in full four weeks before the start of the course will be eligible for a €50 reduction of total course cost – i.e., they will not need to pay the Registration Fee.
- If your application is successful you will need to pay a €100 non-refundable deposit to secure a place on a particular course.
- Final payment of the balance must be made two weeks before the start of the course.
No previous teaching experience or training is required, but candidates must:
- be at least 18 years old on the course start date.
- have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English. This will enable them to follow the course, complete the written tasks and do all necessary preparation to teach a range of levels (i.e., be a competent native or near native English speaker).
- have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to successfully complete the written tasks and the assessment of practice teaching.
- complete all pre-course application tasks satisfactorily.
- confirm that they will be able to comply with all attendance requirements for successful completion of the course.
These criteria are assessed by a member of the teacher training department by referring to a candidate’s application form, application tasks, interview, references, copy of degree and copy of English language proficiency certification (where relevant).
CELT Course Trainers
Our course trainers have extensive teaching, course design and teacher training experience. Before running our CELT courses they worked in a variety of ELT positions around the world – teacher, trainer, course designer and academic manager.
Course Director / Teacher Trainer: Gary Tennant
Gary has been working with international students and teachers in various language teaching organisations in Spain, Denmark, Cuba, UK and Ireland for the past 15 years. He has both a Masters and Doctorate degree as well as the Diploma in Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults (RSA DTEFLA). Current interests include teaching / learning vocabulary and 21st Century learning skills.
Teacher Trainer: David O’Connor
David has worked in various EFL teaching and management roles in Ireland and France over the past nine years. He holds an MA, and the Cambridge Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults (DELTA). His current interests include course design and exploring the pedagogical potential of technology.
Teacher Trainer: Billy Rogers
Billy originally trained as an actor and has been working as an English language teacher in London and Dublin since 2008. He has the Cambridge Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults (DELTA). His areas of interest are fostering learner autonomy and developing our overseas teacher refresher courses for non-native teachers of English.
Employment Opportunities with the CELT
Having a CELT certificate, along with a university degree, is your passport to employment worldwide. You will qualify for employment with private English language schools that are recognised by the Department of Education & Science in Ireland. Visit the ACELS site for more information about accredited schools at: www.acels.ie/search.htm. The CELT is also accepted for employment in other jurisdictions, e.g., accredited schools in the UK and across the EU, Asia and Australia. The course also includes workshops on finding teaching work at good quality schools in Ireland and abroad after the course. Trainees following the TEFL course at Atlas will, of course, have a foot in the door for future teaching work at Atlas.
Please contact us for more information.